Friday, January 14, 2011

Proud Mom

What can I say?


 
Olivia is a freshman in high school. In May she had to move away from everything she has ever known in her life, the house she has lived in since before she was two and friends that she has known as long. 
That was a tough thing for me to do to her, forcing her to adjust to a new place at what I know we can all remember as a very interesting time in life to say the least.
I do like to say (although it is not really true) I would have ten kids if they didn't all grow up to be teenagers. But for all the ups and downs she is one of the coolest people I know most of the time and that is a hard thing to say. I am not sure I want my daughter to be cool, you know? 

I want her to be this nerdy little runt forever.
.
Cutting to the chase . . .she was recently informed that she is a two time Regional Gold Select Winner in the 33rd Annual Scholastic Art Awards.She is now entered in the Nationals which somehow involves a trip both to Wilson, NC and NYC? Maybe? The details I am getting at this time are typically vague and non committal but I think it is a big deal. Did I mention that there were over 400 entries from the County we live in and she alone was selected to move forward? A freshman. When I was a freshman, I think I was still trying to figure out how to tie my shoes.

Here are the winning selections





And so nice to see creative kids being encouraged and rewarded for their artistic endeavors.
She is definitely in some very good company.

2 comments: