Tuesday, September 14, 2010

About town on my bike

One of the first things we did was purchase bikes for the whole family. We live right in downtown Southport so we can ride all around. With the expense of moving and all the other things we have to do with 3 children, I didn't want to spend a fortune on a bike. This is a coastal town, so a coastal cruiser (no gears, no hand brakes) was all I needed. I got her at Walmart for $85! I've thought about naming her but that is about all I've done. I sort of feel like Pee Wee Herman but I haven't pimped her out yet so it's not official.




On the weekends I can sometimes talk the little guys into riding around and exploring. Here are a few pictures from our recent adventure.
This is what I see to the left when I walk out of my office door
And this is what I see to the right but no working today!
Here comes a tanker off the Atlantic and up the Cape Fear to Wilmington
And there she goes

  Looking for crabs down by the pier

Little guy on the far right of the shell
There was a larger fellow in there but I couldn't capture the moment

Here are a few of our favorite things down by the water front

Provisions
Flava's Ice Cream
At Christmas they serve hot chocolate while you ride
Great American Fish Co.
Potter's Seafood
The Old Yacht Basin

I have noticed that most of the houses down by the water are white. Around town there is a lot more variety but I think you'll agree they pull it off nicely.


This is my favorite and there is a good ghost story that goes with it too
View of the same house from the beach


Time to go home. But one look back at a sailboat and the Oak Island Lighthouse in the background. A perfect Saturday.


How lucky am I?

3 comments:

  1. You are lucky! And I am so glad to see y'all enjoying the new town--it looks so wonderful and reminds me of our former home in Southport, CT!! Keep it up!
    Love,
    B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I have a much better idea of what your new life is like now. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete